Monday 16 July 2007

the best laid plans of mice and men...

... are all in a filing cabinet somewhere.

I went to Spain to see my nephew & his girlfriend, and hopefully meet their new baby (due 8 July). I got to see Elvis Costello instead.

BARGAIN!!!!!

Angela was being a stroppy hormonal nightmare, James just opted for stroppy nightmare. Now I had travelled over with my mum, to do the family thing of greeting the baby, and expected to be on hand to help sort things out ; but although they asked us to stay, it soon became clear we were asked solely to clean up, and walk the dogs. They didn't even have the grace to ask nicely! The dogs were lovely, which is why I lasted 3 days. Mum was furious with them, and their lack of preparation and it ended in a massive argument, so in the end we did the sensible thing and found somewhere better.

Thus the big family event became a 4-day city break in Malaga. Had a very happy time wandering round, lots of stuff to see but we just enjoying the scenery and the sunshine. Average temperature around 33-34 degrees C. In the hotel foyer, I found a flyer for the Malaga Music Festival Terral 2007. Elvis Costello and Mink DeVille were playing on the 14th July at Playa del PeƱon del Cuervo.

I don't speak Spanish, and have never visited Spain. The concert started 10pm Saturday and I had to fly back Sunday. So with absolutely no idea of how to find my way round or ask for help, I set off.

It was ace! Special bus service to venue cost 1 euro, it was just up the road on the coast*. I will post a few piccies, if the camera phone pictures are good enough. It was the perfect warm-up to the Cambridge Folk festival ** .

Mink DeVille played at least 90 mins, typically Spanish no one checked to see if they started on time. Elvis Costello and Allen Toussaint, Steve Nieve and some excellent New Orleans brass players, were just superb. It was a terrific mix of Costello and Toussaint songs but missed out Oliver's Army. This caused great anguish to the lady next to me, who clearly regretted this decision. Though how could she whinge? There wasn't a duff song in there, no cheap fillers or dodgy timewasting solos.

Finally got in at 3am, no news of the baby. The little blighter is showing no signs of moving. He's giving the occasional kick and wriggle so we know he's ok, and the heartbeat is good and strong. But he's determined to stay put for a while.

But I still think Elvis Costello was a better deal than the child. At least EC turned up...

* Sophie, think Castlefield with seaside
** 23 degrees C at 2.30am, in fact, how's that for warm?

3 comments:

Juanfran Molina said...

do you remember set list?.

Sophie said...

You're a lucky bugger and no mistake!

Donna said...

Juanfran, sorry I can't remember. If I find it posted anywhere, I'll leave a message for you. Can remember Pump It Up, Watching the Detectives, Allison, Yes We Can Can, and the beautiful version of The Sharpest Thorn to finish.

Sophie, I now know I'll never win the lottery 'cause I've used up all the luck... and it's still a bargain!