Wednesday 1 August 2007

Basking Sharks


















Last year, I spent my birthday in a small fishing boat off the South Cornwall coast, watching basking sharks. They were beautiful peaceful creatures, and it was one of the best experiences of my life, to see them so close to our boat.

Now, The Sun is telling me that I was actually in mortal peril, as it was bound to be a Great White, pretending to be veggie to lure us over the side....

The best thing about that newspaper is the highly absorbent nature of it, when used to line cat-litter trays! Has anyone asked the hardline surfer types which would they prefer; to see a Great White, or surf through the blood & guts being poured in the water, by big-game fishing boats out to trap it? I'd be curious to find out - I know about Surfers Against Sewage, but never checked their policy on offal.

If it is a Great White, it is welcome to as many panicking tourists as it can eat... And if it turns out to be the regular basking sharks, what a waste of time offering fish/meat offerings to veggies!

No comments: