Monday 10 September 2007

Winehouse Appreciation Day, part 2

After our silly AWAD, I went for a drink with Scott, Lisa and Damon. Civilised grown-up company and all that. Because we are at heart grown-up and civilised, yes?

Errrm....

We started in the Salutation (I can remember when it was all fields round 'ere, mate!) and we were quite sedate - news, work, househunting,mortgages, blahblahblah. Until we realised the cigarette machine at the other end of the bar was the jukebox :) Conversation deteriorated as the music improved, and fed said jukebox until we had the good idea of moving to the Lass O'Gowrie.

I can't remember at which point we started the 'Longest Hair Contest'. Definitely several pints in. Mostly in honour of the lovely purry Elvis. The measuring point was nipple-length, excluding Damon and myself right off. I think Lisa won, though Scott might have reason to believe it was a draw. Bloody hippies! No, D and I are not bitter losers at all :(

Pity the poor live music act - shoved at the end of the pub near the toilets, all the tables nearby packed with the tone-deaf and terminally ignorant. We couldn't get near. We tried to listen appreciatively from the snug, until Damon spotted some geek book on the highest of the obligatory bookshelves. Cue Scott's epic climb up the tricky South-West face of the chimney breast, and much geeky muttering from S and D from this point on.

I ended up running for the bus. I thought I'd given up this sort of nonsense long ago, but it was waiting at the lights and I didn't fancy waiting for a pricey cab, so I went for it.

Want to regain that youthful vigour? Beer really does work best. I went straight back to college stupidity, and it was much more fun than it should have been...

3 comments:

Sophie said...

I dunno. And they let you lot vote :-)

Scott said...

All of which was less scary than You Lot trying to talk me into shaving my beard off and trying to manipulate my ample pony tail into a quiff

Donna said...

I'd forgotten about that! :)

It could work, you know!