Monday 18 June 2007

anniversary time

There seems to be a lot of this around at the moment, so here goes.

Yes, I do remember the first UK realease of 'Star Wars', queued round the block with my Mum and it was ruined by the idiot in front smoking a cigar. It looked so much better second time round, without the fog.

Yes, I do remember the Sex Pistols and the fuss about 'God Save the Queen'. Been watching them on Tony Wilson's 'So It Goes' for a while. But with all the will (and hair gel) in the world, waist length hair won't stay in a mohican for long - and I bloody well wasn't going to cut it!

TISWAS! I was definitely a Magpie and Tiswas kid. Although I knew I'd never grow up to be as fit as Sally James, I still dream that one day I will be able to throw a mean custard pie and walk in heels that high.

And two sadder ones.

The Falklands. Aged 17, watching the news. Meeting the 1st Great Love of My Life at this time. In retrospect, should have realised that, when he didn't appear to bother with current affairs, he was not the one for me. Very bright lad, but computer-and-self obsessed. But he was quite fit for a geek (!) and I didn't fancy him for his computing skills! It says a LOT for Scott and Jill that I became friends with them despite their computing backgrounds! My tekkie-phobia has deep and dark roots :)

Tony Blair as PM. So ding, dong the Tory witches were dead, I finally saw a Labour parliament voted in, and let the good times roll! I watched the election at my friend Eleanor's house, dog-sitting while she was on holiday. She died 10 years ago this week, and I still think of her. Would have been a much better world if we'd had Eleanor for 10 years instead...

3 comments:

Sophie said...

My most abiding memory of the Falklands "war" is a badge, proudly stating: "The Falkland Islands Belong To The Penguins!"

Scott said...

Talking of memories from long ago, a conversation Sophie and I had:

me: "So what WAS Beethoven like live?"

She: "well, there was no point heckling him i'll tell you that"

Donna said...

The sight of the Sir Galahad still gives me nightmares. But guess what, they're exploring for oil round there. And I bet the penguins won't be getting rich on it :(

Mind you, there is enough aggro caused by dollar/euro per barrel debate - can you imagine the shock on the markets when the penguins start insisting on barrels of fish, and not sharing with the seabirds?? :)